Fwd: Recruitment for AAC Assessment Experiences of Autistic People

AH
Alyssa Hillary
Thu, Mar 28, 2024 9:59 PM

I was one of the external collaborators for this; both external
collaborators are autistic adults who use both AAC and speech.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Pang Lee Herr pherr@pdx.edu
Date: Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 5:09 PM
Subject: Recruitment for AAC Assessment Experiences of Autistic People

Hello,

Our names are Karina Rayl and Pang Lee Herr and we are graduate students at
Portland State University’s Speech and Hearing Science Department. In
collaboration with our co-investigators Brandon Eddy, Amy Donaldson,
Tuttle, and Alyssa Hillary Zisk we are recruiting for a study that seeks to
learn about the speech, AAC, and assessment experiences of autistic people
who use speech and AAC. We are curious if a modified version of the
Communicative Participation Item Bank (CPIB) can be a reliable tool for
clinicians to utilize in measuring the internal experiences of speaking
autistic people. Regarding assessment, we are interested in understanding
how their speech efficacy, or the extent to which they can use speech to
completely communicate their intended meaning, was measured and considered
in the evaluation process and if the evaluation resulted in a
recommendation of an AAC tool.

We are recruiting people who meet the following criteria:

18+ years old

Are autistic (professional diagnosis & self-ID accepted)

Use AAC

Have intermittent, unreliable, insufficient, and/or expensive speech.

Live in the U.S.A.

Participation in this study involves completing a secure online survey
consisting of screening questions, demographic information, and survey
questions. It includes a combination of multiple choice, slider, and
written response questions, which are estimated to take between 10-20
minutes to complete. No identifying information will be collected in this
survey.

If you would like to participate in this study, please follow this
Qualtrics link:

https://portlandstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_d3Su7PFLf9dpQGO

You will be provided a brief description and screening questions to get
started.

We greatly appreciate your participation and thank you in advance for your
time and energy. Please contact us or our faculty advisor via email with
any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Karina Rayl, B.S. (Lead Investigator)

Graduate Student

Speech and Hearing Sciences

Portland State University

Email: krayl@pdx.edu

Pang Lee Herr, B.S. (Lead Investigator)

Graduate Student

Speech and Hearing Sciences

Portland State University

Email: pherr@pdx.edu

Brandon Eddy, M.A., CCC-SLP (Co-investigator and Faculty Advisor)

Associate Clinical Professor

Speech and Hearing Sciences

Email: beddy@pdx.edu

Amy Donaldson, Ph.D. CCC-SLP (Co-investigator and Faculty Advisor)

Associate Professor

Speech and Hearing Sciences

Email: adonald@pdx.edu

Tuttle (External Collaborator)

Email: tuttleturtle@gmail.com

Alyssa Zisk, Ph.D. (External Collaborator)

Email: ahzisk@gmail.com

I was one of the external collaborators for this; both external collaborators are autistic adults who use both AAC and speech. ---------- Forwarded message --------- From: Pang Lee Herr <pherr@pdx.edu> Date: Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 5:09 PM Subject: Recruitment for AAC Assessment Experiences of Autistic People To: Hello, Our names are Karina Rayl and Pang Lee Herr and we are graduate students at Portland State University’s Speech and Hearing Science Department. In collaboration with our co-investigators Brandon Eddy, Amy Donaldson, Tuttle, and Alyssa Hillary Zisk we are recruiting for a study that seeks to learn about the speech, AAC, and assessment experiences of autistic people who use speech and AAC. We are curious if a modified version of the Communicative Participation Item Bank (CPIB) can be a reliable tool for clinicians to utilize in measuring the internal experiences of speaking autistic people. Regarding assessment, we are interested in understanding how their speech efficacy, or the extent to which they can use speech to completely communicate their intended meaning, was measured and considered in the evaluation process and if the evaluation resulted in a recommendation of an AAC tool. We are recruiting people who meet the following criteria: - 18+ years old - Are autistic (professional diagnosis & self-ID accepted) - Use AAC - Have intermittent, unreliable, insufficient, and/or expensive speech. - Live in the U.S.A. Participation in this study involves completing a secure online survey consisting of screening questions, demographic information, and survey questions. It includes a combination of multiple choice, slider, and written response questions, which are estimated to take between 10-20 minutes to complete. No identifying information will be collected in this survey. If you would like to participate in this study, please follow this Qualtrics link: https://portlandstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_d3Su7PFLf9dpQGO You will be provided a brief description and screening questions to get started. We greatly appreciate your participation and thank you in advance for your time and energy. Please contact us or our faculty advisor via email with any questions or concerns. Sincerely, Karina Rayl, B.S. (Lead Investigator) Graduate Student Speech and Hearing Sciences Portland State University Email: krayl@pdx.edu Pang Lee Herr, B.S. (Lead Investigator) Graduate Student Speech and Hearing Sciences Portland State University Email: pherr@pdx.edu Brandon Eddy, M.A., CCC-SLP (Co-investigator and Faculty Advisor) Associate Clinical Professor Speech and Hearing Sciences Email: beddy@pdx.edu Amy Donaldson, Ph.D. CCC-SLP (Co-investigator and Faculty Advisor) Associate Professor Speech and Hearing Sciences Email: adonald@pdx.edu Tuttle (External Collaborator) Email: tuttleturtle@gmail.com Alyssa Zisk, Ph.D. (External Collaborator) Email: ahzisk@gmail.com