New Transnational Disability Studies Book

WH
Wendy Harbour
Sat, Nov 4, 2023 2:33 AM

I don't think this has been posted.  There's a new book called "Disabling Relations: Wounded Bodyminds and Active Witnessing" by Soni Kazemi.  The description is:

"Her work expands the field of transnational disability studies, documenting the ways in which people have become disabled as the result of exploitative social relations such as state violence, patriarchy, torture, and war. She also opens the door for more disability story contributions with a digital oral history archive of people with disabilities."

More information is in this article:
https://www.uwlax.edu/news/posts/telling-forgotten-stories/

Wendy

The NCCSD and DREAM welcome your opinion - please tell us about your experience with us in a very short confidential survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BX3PHSH

Dr. Wendy S. Harbour, Ed.D.
Associate Executive Director for Programs and Development at the Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD)
Co-PI and Director, National Center for College Students with Disabilities (NCCSD) at the Institute on Community Integration (ICI) at the University of Minnesota

wendy@ahead.orgmailto:wendy@ahead.org or harbo002@umn.edu
Preferred Pronouns she/hers

651-583-7499 (Phone or VideoPhone)
704-707-5886 (Texts Only)

https://nccsd.ici.umn.edu/

I acknowledge, with respect, that I live and work on traditional, ancestral, and contempory lands of Indigenous people including the Anishinaabe, Chippewa, Ojibwe, Dakota (including the Mdewakanton Sioux), Northern Cheyenne, and the Waccamaw Siouan Tribe.  I affirm tribal sovereignty and will work to hold myself, my workplaces, and my affiliations accountable to American Indian peoples and Nations.

[...]
PM
Price, Margaret
Sun, Nov 12, 2023 2:51 PM

Hi all—I worked with the AMAZING Sona Kazemi at Ohio State for several years, and have read a couple of chapters of the book. It’s truly pathbreaking and urgently needed in DS. I’m awaiting its publication with excitement.

Here’s Sona’s faculty profile at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, which includes links to some of her work that’s already been published: https://www.uwlax.edu/profile/skazemi/

Margaret

--
Dr. Margaret Price (she/her/hers)
Associate Professor, Department of English

From: Wendy Harbour via SDS-Discuss sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org
Date: Thursday, November 9, 2023 at 11:26 AM
To: sds-discuss sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org, Disability Studies in the Humanities DS-HUM@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [SDS Members]New Transnational Disability Studies Book
I don’t think this has been posted. There’s a new book called “Disabling Relations: Wounded Bodyminds and Active Witnessing” by Soni Kazemi. The description is: “Her work expands the field of transnational disability

I don’t think this has been posted.  There’s a new book called “Disabling Relations: Wounded Bodyminds and Active Witnessing” by Soni Kazemi.  The description is:

“Her work expands the field of transnational disability studies, documenting the ways in which people have become disabled as the result of exploitative social relations such as state violence, patriarchy, torture, and war. She also opens the door for more disability story contributions with a digital oral history archive of people with disabilities.”

More information is in this article:
https://www.uwlax.edu/news/posts/telling-forgotten-stories/https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.uwlax.edu/news/posts/telling-forgotten-stories/__;!!KGKeukY!0yspIIpsBaU_yPf0ZYRfJS_YxS0PiakXCW9Nrl9qBxORmnQ4CWIqDloXmkpE7YzvZGmDIQDWc89AmIuWfSVAg7G7YxD2hvDrvw$

Wendy

The NCCSD and DREAM welcome your opinion - please tell us about your experience with us in a very short confidential survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BX3PHSHhttps://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.surveymonkey.com/r/BX3PHSH__;!!KGKeukY!0yspIIpsBaU_yPf0ZYRfJS_YxS0PiakXCW9Nrl9qBxORmnQ4CWIqDloXmkpE7YzvZGmDIQDWc89AmIuWfSVAg7G7YxCE238gaw$

https://nccsd.ici.umn.edu/https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/nccsd.ici.umn.edu/__;!!KGKeukY!0yspIIpsBaU_yPf0ZYRfJS_YxS0PiakXCW9Nrl9qBxORmnQ4CWIqDloXmkpE7YzvZGmDIQDWc89AmIuWfSVAg7G7YxAC_jLPcg$

I acknowledge, with respect, that I live and work on traditional, ancestral, and contempory lands of Indigenous people including the Anishinaabe, Chippewa, Ojibwe, Dakota (including the Mdewakanton Sioux), Northern Cheyenne, and the Waccamaw Siouan Tribe.  I affirm tribal sovereignty and will work to hold myself, my workplaces, and my affiliations accountable to American Indian peoples and Nations.

Hi all—I worked with the AMAZING Sona Kazemi at Ohio State for several years, and have read a couple of chapters of the book. It’s truly pathbreaking and urgently needed in DS. I’m awaiting its publication with excitement. Here’s Sona’s faculty profile at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, which includes links to some of her work that’s already been published: https://www.uwlax.edu/profile/skazemi/ Margaret -- Dr. Margaret Price (she/her/hers) Associate Professor, Department of English Director, Disability Studies Program The Ohio State University 421 Denney Hall Columbus, OH 43214 (614) 292-6065 https://english.osu.edu/people/price.1225 From: Wendy Harbour via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Date: Thursday, November 9, 2023 at 11:26 AM To: sds-discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org>, Disability Studies in the Humanities <DS-HUM@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU> Subject: [SDS Members]New Transnational Disability Studies Book I don’t think this has been posted. There’s a new book called “Disabling Relations: Wounded Bodyminds and Active Witnessing” by Soni Kazemi. The description is: “Her work expands the field of transnational disability I don’t think this has been posted. There’s a new book called “Disabling Relations: Wounded Bodyminds and Active Witnessing” by Soni Kazemi. The description is: “Her work expands the field of transnational disability studies, documenting the ways in which people have become disabled as the result of exploitative social relations such as state violence, patriarchy, torture, and war. She also opens the door for more disability story contributions with a digital oral history archive of people with disabilities.” More information is in this article: https://www.uwlax.edu/news/posts/telling-forgotten-stories/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.uwlax.edu/news/posts/telling-forgotten-stories/__;!!KGKeukY!0yspIIpsBaU_yPf0ZYRfJS_YxS0PiakXCW9Nrl9qBxORmnQ4CWIqDloXmkpE7YzvZGmDIQDWc89AmIuWfSVAg7G7YxD2hvDrvw$> Wendy The NCCSD and DREAM welcome your opinion - please tell us about your experience with us in a very short confidential survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BX3PHSH<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.surveymonkey.com/r/BX3PHSH__;!!KGKeukY!0yspIIpsBaU_yPf0ZYRfJS_YxS0PiakXCW9Nrl9qBxORmnQ4CWIqDloXmkpE7YzvZGmDIQDWc89AmIuWfSVAg7G7YxCE238gaw$> ----- Dr. Wendy S. Harbour, Ed.D. Associate Executive Director for Programs and Development at the Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD) Co-PI and Director, National Center for College Students with Disabilities (NCCSD) at the Institute on Community Integration (ICI) at the University of Minnesota wendy@ahead.org<mailto:wendy@ahead.org> or harbo002@umn.edu Preferred Pronouns she/hers 651-583-7499 (Phone or VideoPhone) 704-707-5886 (Texts Only) https://nccsd.ici.umn.edu/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/nccsd.ici.umn.edu/__;!!KGKeukY!0yspIIpsBaU_yPf0ZYRfJS_YxS0PiakXCW9Nrl9qBxORmnQ4CWIqDloXmkpE7YzvZGmDIQDWc89AmIuWfSVAg7G7YxAC_jLPcg$> I acknowledge, with respect, that I live and work on traditional, ancestral, and contempory lands of Indigenous people including the Anishinaabe, Chippewa, Ojibwe, Dakota (including the Mdewakanton Sioux), Northern Cheyenne, and the Waccamaw Siouan Tribe. I affirm tribal sovereignty and will work to hold myself, my workplaces, and my affiliations accountable to American Indian peoples and Nations.