Fw: You are invited: CHRRJ Guest Speaker Dr. Michele Johnson - this is a virtual eventl February 13, 2024

NH
Nancy Hansen
Wed, Jan 3, 2024 8:30 PM

Hello,
I have registered for this, and I thought you might be interested.
Best,
Nancy

Nancy E Hansen, PhD,

Professor, Director,

Interdisciplinary Master's Program,Disability Studies

Accessibility is not an optics issue or a choice it is a necessity

If you say I have special needs ... then just say the word disabled. Euphemisms only fuel ableism. Disability is not a dirty word.  Haben Girma
True Inclusion moves at the speed of trust. Atif Choudhury
128 Education Building

University of Manitoba, Winnipeg,

Manitoba, Canada, R3T 2N2

Email:Nancy.Hansen@umanitoba.camailto:Nancy.Hansen@umanitoba.ca

Chapter 18: DisAppearing Disability: Disability MAiD Invisible, by Nancy Hansen

https://canadianscholars.ca/book/disappearing/

From: Yilmaz, Melike yilmam2@mcmaster.ca
Date: Wednesday, January 3, 2024 at 9:22 AM
To: Yilmaz, Melike yilmam2@mcmaster.ca

Greetings from the Centre for Human Rights and Restorative Justice (CHRRJ),

We would like to invite you to the centre’s guest speaker series talk with Dr. Michele Johnson on Tuesday, February 13, 2024, at 1.30 pm EST (Toronto time) at McMaster University.

Our director, Dr. Juanita De Barros and Matthew Monrose, Ph.D. candidate, will talk to Dr. Michele Johnson about her research on the history of the Caribbean and the African diaspora and her important new co-edited publication, Unsettling the Great White North: Black Canadian Historyhttps://utorontopress.com/9781487529178/unsettling-the-great-white-north/, published by the University of Toronto Press.

About our speaker: Dr. Michele Johnson holds a BA. Hons, M.Phil. (U.W.I.), M.A and Ph.D. in History from Johns Hopkins University and has taught in the Department of History at York University since July 2002. Prior to teaching at York, Professor Johnson taught at the University of West Indies (Mona) from 1994 – 2002. She is the former coordinator of the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Programme and the former director of the Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on Africa and its Diasporas (2013-2018). Her research interests and publications reflect Jamaican cultural history, and the histories of gender relations, race/racialization, labour, domestic slavery, and domestic service in Jamaica and Canada.

Registration linkhttps://bit.ly/CHRRJSpeakerSeries for virtual attendance.

Please visit our websitehttps://chrrj.humanities.mcmaster.ca/ for upcoming events.

We are looking forward to seeing you.

Best Regards,

Melike Yilmaz, PhD

Research Coordinator, Centre for Human Rights and Restorative Justicehttps://chrrj.humanities.mcmaster.ca/

Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of History

McMaster University, Canada

Collaborator, Participediahttps://participedia.net/

Hello, I have registered for this, and I thought you might be interested. Best, Nancy Nancy E Hansen, PhD, Professor, Director, Interdisciplinary Master's Program,Disability Studies Accessibility is not an optics issue or a choice it is a necessity If you say I have special needs ... then just say the word disabled. Euphemisms only fuel ableism. Disability is not a dirty word. Haben Girma True Inclusion moves at the speed of trust. Atif Choudhury 128 Education Building University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3T 2N2 Email:Nancy.Hansen@umanitoba.ca<mailto:Nancy.Hansen@umanitoba.ca> Chapter 18: DisAppearing Disability: Disability MAiD Invisible, by Nancy Hansen https://canadianscholars.ca/book/disappearing/ ________________________________ From: Pauline Tennent <Pauline.Tennent@umanitoba.ca> Sent: Wednesday, January 3, 2024 1:40 PM Subject: [CHRR] FW: You are invited: CHRRJ Guest Speaker Dr. Michele Johnson - February 13, 2024 Hello, Please see virtual event notice from the Centre for Human Rights and Restorative Justice, McMaster University. Thanks, -- Pauline Tennent, PhD (she/her/hers) Manager, Centre for Human Rights Research From: Yilmaz, Melike <yilmam2@mcmaster.ca> Date: Wednesday, January 3, 2024 at 9:22 AM To: Yilmaz, Melike <yilmam2@mcmaster.ca> Subject: [HR-rsch] You are invited: CHRRJ Guest Speaker Dr. Michele Johnson - February 13, 2024 Greetings from the Centre for Human Rights and Restorative Justice (CHRRJ), We would like to invite you to the centre’s guest speaker series talk with Dr. Michele Johnson on Tuesday, February 13, 2024, at 1.30 pm EST (Toronto time) at McMaster University. Our director, Dr. Juanita De Barros and Matthew Monrose, Ph.D. candidate, will talk to Dr. Michele Johnson about her research on the history of the Caribbean and the African diaspora and her important new co-edited publication, Unsettling the Great White North: Black Canadian History<https://utorontopress.com/9781487529178/unsettling-the-great-white-north/>, published by the University of Toronto Press. About our speaker: Dr. Michele Johnson holds a BA. Hons, M.Phil. (U.W.I.), M.A and Ph.D. in History from Johns Hopkins University and has taught in the Department of History at York University since July 2002. Prior to teaching at York, Professor Johnson taught at the University of West Indies (Mona) from 1994 – 2002. She is the former coordinator of the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Programme and the former director of the Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on Africa and its Diasporas (2013-2018). Her research interests and publications reflect Jamaican cultural history, and the histories of gender relations, race/racialization, labour, domestic slavery, and domestic service in Jamaica and Canada. Registration link<https://bit.ly/CHRRJSpeakerSeries> for virtual attendance. Please visit our website<https://chrrj.humanities.mcmaster.ca/> for upcoming events. We are looking forward to seeing you. Best Regards, Melike Yilmaz, PhD Research Coordinator, Centre for Human Rights and Restorative Justice<https://chrrj.humanities.mcmaster.ca/> Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of History McMaster University, Canada Collaborator, Participedia<https://participedia.net/>