Best Practices for Universal Online Conference Design?

JK
Jesse Kaysen
Mon, Sep 11, 2023 5:04 PM

Jesse here

SDS April 2020 was the beginning of my learning how to make an online conference work for all in virtual attendance. In the interval, I've attended at least 20 virtual cons. Some were fabulously accessible and others were chaotic.

Now I'm fortunate that some of my ongoing events are going hybrid — which requires twice as much work for the event planners.

Has anyone captured all those lessons into a Universal Design for Online Conferences resource?

Jesse Kaysen
Civic activist & independent scholar
Madison Wisconsin USA
jesse_the_k@pobox.com

Jesse here SDS April 2020 was the beginning of my learning how to make an online conference work for all in virtual attendance. In the interval, I've attended at least 20 virtual cons. Some were fabulously accessible and others were chaotic. Now I'm fortunate that some of my ongoing events are going hybrid — which requires twice as much work for the event planners. Has anyone captured all those lessons into a Universal Design for Online Conferences resource? -- Jesse Kaysen Civic activist & independent scholar Madison Wisconsin USA jesse_the_k@pobox.com
SB
Sheryl Burgstahler
Fri, Sep 29, 2023 1:57 AM

Some publications in the Center for Universal Design in Education (CUDE) discuss some of these issues. See https://www.washington.edu/doit/programs/center-universal-design-education/universal-design-projects-conference-exhibits

Sheryl

Sheryl Burgstahler
Director, Accessible Technologies & DO-IT Center
Affiliate Professor, College of Education
UW-IT, University of Washington
Seattle

From: Jesse Kaysen via SDS-Discuss sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 11:20 AM
To: Society for Disability Studies sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org
Subject: [SDS Members]Best Practices for Universal Online Conference Design?
Jesse here

SDS April 2020 was the beginning of my learning how to make an online conference work for all in virtual attendance. In the interval, I've attended at least 20 virtual cons. Some were fabulously accessible and others were chaotic.

Now I'm fortunate that some of my ongoing events are going hybrid — which requires twice as much work for the event planners.

Has anyone captured all those lessons into a Universal Design for Online Conferences resource?

Jesse Kaysen
Civic activist & independent scholar
Madison Wisconsin USA
jesse_the_k@pobox.com
This is sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org. A listserv of the Society for Disability Studies. Your listserv email is currently set to sherylb@uw.edu. If you wish to make any changes to your SDS Membership Profile, please log in to the membership portal to change your settings.  https://urldefense.com/v3/https://societyfordisabilitystudies.wildapricot.org/Sys/Login;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNUCY-0K_$https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/societyfordisabilitystudies.wildapricot.org/Sys/Login__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNUCY-0K_$ .
You may unsubscribe at the following link:  https://urldefense.com/v3/https://lists.disstudies.org/list/sds-discuss.lists.disstudies.org*;Iw!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNU-wRBFr$https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/lists.disstudies.org/list/sds-discuss.lists.disstudies.org*__;Iw!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNU-wRBFr$ .

Some publications in the Center for Universal Design in Education (CUDE) discuss some of these issues. See https://www.washington.edu/doit/programs/center-universal-design-education/universal-design-projects-conference-exhibits Sheryl Sheryl Burgstahler Director, Accessible Technologies & DO-IT Center Affiliate Professor, College of Education UW-IT, University of Washington Seattle -- From: Jesse Kaysen via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 11:20 AM To: Society for Disability Studies <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Subject: [SDS Members]Best Practices for Universal Online Conference Design? Jesse here SDS April 2020 was the beginning of my learning how to make an online conference work for all in virtual attendance. In the interval, I've attended at least 20 virtual cons. Some were fabulously accessible and others were chaotic. Now I'm fortunate that some of my ongoing events are going hybrid — which requires twice as much work for the event planners. Has anyone captured all those lessons into a Universal Design for Online Conferences resource? -- Jesse Kaysen Civic activist & independent scholar Madison Wisconsin USA jesse_the_k@pobox.com This is sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org. A listserv of the Society for Disability Studies. Your listserv email is currently set to sherylb@uw.edu. If you wish to make any changes to your SDS Membership Profile, please log in to the membership portal to change your settings. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://societyfordisabilitystudies.wildapricot.org/Sys/Login__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNUCY-0K_$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/societyfordisabilitystudies.wildapricot.org/Sys/Login__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNUCY-0K_$> . You may unsubscribe at the following link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lists.disstudies.org/list/sds-discuss.lists.disstudies.org*__;Iw!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNU-wRBFr$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/lists.disstudies.org/list/sds-discuss.lists.disstudies.org*__;Iw!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNU-wRBFr$> .
PM
Price, Margaret
Mon, Oct 2, 2023 12:52 PM

Dear Sheryl and all—

Thank you for sending that resource! I’ve added it to the “Composing Access” website.

Jesse, I think you’ve seen “Composing Accesshttps://u.osu.edu/composingaccess/” before (it’s getting a bit old now and we don’t have resources to update it), but I do keep current Access Guides on there from the Conference on College Composition and Communication, as well as additional materials like Sheryl’s that I learn about.

Margaret

--
Dr. Margaret Price (she/her/hers)
Associate Professor, Department of English

From: Sheryl Burgstahler via SDS-Discuss sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org
Date: Friday, September 29, 2023 at 3:05 PM
To: Jesse Kaysen jesse_the_k@pobox.com, Society for Disability Studies sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org

Some publications in the Center for Universal Design in Education (CUDE) discuss some of these issues. See https://www.washington.edu/doit/programs/center-universal-design-education/universal-design-projects-conference-exhibitshttps://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.washington.edu/doit/programs/center-universal-design-education/universal-design-projects-conference-exhibits__;!!KGKeukY!29eUK_g78Vx8Du2g5WCC-bN3QUqagWBktBv2gDbxOba8n7rguxZAtFvgwdAkmkCro4AIt7twO2HVeIBtxkVX32kM1IzPVGgnxw$

From: Jesse Kaysen via SDS-Discuss sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 11:20 AM
To: Society for Disability Studies sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org

Dear Sheryl and all— Thank you for sending that resource! I’ve added it to the “Composing Access” website. Jesse, I think you’ve seen “Composing Access<https://u.osu.edu/composingaccess/>” before (it’s getting a bit old now and we don’t have resources to update it), but I do keep current Access Guides on there from the Conference on College Composition and Communication, as well as additional materials like Sheryl’s that I learn about. Margaret -- Dr. Margaret Price (she/her/hers) Associate Professor, Department of English Director, Disability Studies Program The Ohio State University 421 Denney Hall Columbus, OH 43214 (614) 292-6065 https://english.osu.edu/people/price.1225 From: Sheryl Burgstahler via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Date: Friday, September 29, 2023 at 3:05 PM To: Jesse Kaysen <jesse_the_k@pobox.com>, Society for Disability Studies <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Subject: [SDS Members]Re: Best Practices for Universal Online Conference Design? Some publications in the Center for Universal Design in Education (CUDE) discuss some of these issues. See https: //www. washington. edu/doit/programs/center-universal-design-education/universal-design-projects-conference-exhibits Sheryl Sheryl Some publications in the Center for Universal Design in Education (CUDE) discuss some of these issues. See https://www.washington.edu/doit/programs/center-universal-design-education/universal-design-projects-conference-exhibits<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.washington.edu/doit/programs/center-universal-design-education/universal-design-projects-conference-exhibits__;!!KGKeukY!29eUK_g78Vx8Du2g5WCC-bN3QUqagWBktBv2gDbxOba8n7rguxZAtFvgwdAkmkCro4AIt7twO2HVeIBtxkVX32kM1IzPVGgnxw$> Sheryl Sheryl Burgstahler Director, Accessible Technologies & DO-IT Center Affiliate Professor, College of Education UW-IT, University of Washington Seattle -- From: Jesse Kaysen via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 11:20 AM To: Society for Disability Studies <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Subject: [SDS Members]Best Practices for Universal Online Conference Design? Jesse here SDS April 2020 was the beginning of my learning how to make an online conference work for all in virtual attendance. In the interval, I've attended at least 20 virtual cons. Some were fabulously accessible and others were chaotic. Now I'm fortunate that some of my ongoing events are going hybrid — which requires twice as much work for the event planners. Has anyone captured all those lessons into a Universal Design for Online Conferences resource? -- Jesse Kaysen Civic activist & independent scholar Madison Wisconsin USA jesse_the_k@pobox.com This is sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org. A listserv of the Society for Disability Studies. Your listserv email is currently set to sherylb@uw.edu. If you wish to make any changes to your SDS Membership Profile, please log in to the membership portal to change your settings. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://societyfordisabilitystudies.wildapricot.org/Sys/Login__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNUCY-0K_$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/societyfordisabilitystudies.wildapricot.org/Sys/Login__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNUCY-0K_$> . You may unsubscribe at the following link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lists.disstudies.org/list/sds-discuss.lists.disstudies.org*__;Iw!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNU-wRBFr$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/lists.disstudies.org/list/sds-discuss.lists.disstudies.org*__;Iw!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kgbS1FQloN14ZjSL4N4nlIDgAzeRQ_oNwWWaYk9vrXyRZD3hnst2faLbUwZqhkns9MR5F6GhRcY5G5gLEnyCNU-wRBFr$> .