FW: Special Call for Proposals! 2023 Annual Meeting, History of Education Society, November 1-5, 2023

devva@earthlink.net
Wed, May 3, 2023 2:23 AM

FYI

Devva Kasnitz, PhD
Adj Professor, City University of New York-School of Professional
Studies-Disability Studies
Telecommunications Access for the Deaf and Disabled Administrative
Committee, CA
1614 D Street
Eureka, CA  95501-2345
Text and Voicemail:  (510) 206-5767
Email:  mailto:devva@earthlink.net devva@earthlink.net
If you don't know me, I prefer email, Skype with IM, or text as I do have a
significant speech impairment.
NOW IN PAPERBACK! Occupying Disability: Critical Approaches to Community,
Justice, and Decolonizing Disability
Editors: Block, P., Kasnitz, D., Nishida, A., Pollard, N.
http://www.springer.com/us/book/9789401799836
From: CUNY Disability Scholars DISABILITYSCHOLARS-L@GC.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
On Behalf Of Francine Almash
Sent: Tuesday, May 2, 2023 7:18 PM
To: DISABILITYSCHOLARS-L@GC.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Special Call for Proposals! 2023 Annual Meeting, History of
Education Society, November 1-5, 2023

This year the History of Education Society is committed to showcasing
disability scholarship and increasing accessibility at its annual meeting in
Atlanta, Georgia in November. The theme of this year's conference is Beyond
Resilience: Centering Joy in the Educational Tapestry (
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.historyofeducation
.org_annual-2Dmeeting_2023-2Dannual-2Dmeeting-2Dcall-2Dfor-2Dproposals_&d=Dw
MFAg&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjAEOCyUjY&r=j6uo3zJYzy-z_M13ZK8I4X_
1PWvls91JOPmXxnjwm-Har5-WqJzf88he0snaj0lp&m=lkrTacgfMphH6ZJDHwq1c9L7gVm2TZtn
0RvU2-MECqPIxkxIFwHSqKzOd2yr_Xul&s=odgdUPQryZREImPn4rRmSifMoJS8xymW9KhDWydOo
L8&e=> see this link for the original call).
We will facilitate at least three disability-focused sessions and workshops
in Atlanta: one on disability broadly within the history of education, one
on academic ableism in historic and current contexts, and a workshop on
accessibility in presenting and teaching. Our aim with these sessions and
workshops is to encourage education historians to think more critically
about the role disability plays in their own scholarship, teaching, and
lives.

We especially invite disabled historians, teachers, and graduate students to
participate on these panels and in these discussions. Your work is valuable
and needed, and we will work with you to ensure that your access needs are
met.

In lieu of a full proposal, please send a short paragraph of
interest-including the topic on which you would like to present-directly to
Kristen Chmielewski,  mailto:chmielk@wwu.edu chmielk@wwu.edu, and Francine
Almash,  mailto:falmash@gradcenter.cuny.edu falmash@gradcenter.cuny.edu,
by May 19, 2023.
Please spread word about this special call for proposals for individual
papers, panel sessions, or workshops that examine the history of education
and disability.
Kristen and Francine
Co-Chairs, HES Presidential Taskforce on Access and Inclusion

Francine Almash
2022-2023 CUNY/Schomburg Archival Dissertation Fellow

PhD Candidate in Urban Education
The Graduate Center, CUNY

New York City "600" Schools and the Legacy of Segregation in Special
Education

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.gothamcenter.org_b
log_new-2Dyork-2Dcity-2D600-2Dschools-2Dand-2Dthe-2Dlegacy-2Dof-2Dsegregatio
n-2Din-2Dspecial-2Deducation&d=DwMFAg&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjA
EOCyUjY&r=j6uo3zJYzy-z_M13ZK8I4X_1PWvls91JOPmXxnjwm-Har5-WqJzf88he0snaj0lp&m
=lkrTacgfMphH6ZJDHwq1c9L7gVm2TZtn0RvU2-MECqPIxkxIFwHSqKzOd2yr_Xul&s=bo8KPzy6
p3QmEvXc2uZ19H55EyK_QQ1Ut7aak4kSPIk&e=>
https://www.gothamcenter.org/blog/new-york-city-600-schools-and-the-legacy-o
f-segregation-in-special-education

To unsubscribe from the DISABILITYSCHOLARS-L list, click the following link:
https://GC.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU/scripts/wa-gc.exe?TICKET=NzM4NjcyIGRldnZhQEVBUl
RITElOSy5ORVQgRElTQUJJTElUWVNDSE9MQVJTLUwgIPTew2aB5ctt
<https://GC.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU/scripts/wa-gc.exe?TICKET=NzM4NjcyIGRldnZhQEVBU
lRITElOSy5ORVQgRElTQUJJTElUWVNDSE9MQVJTLUwgIPTew2aB5ctt&c=SIGNOFF>
&c=SIGNOFF

FYI Devva Kasnitz, PhD Adj Professor, City University of New York-School of Professional Studies-Disability Studies Telecommunications Access for the Deaf and Disabled Administrative Committee, CA 1614 D Street Eureka, CA 95501-2345 Text and Voicemail: (510) 206-5767 Email: <mailto:devva@earthlink.net> devva@earthlink.net If you don't know me, I prefer email, Skype with IM, or text as I do have a significant speech impairment. NOW IN PAPERBACK! Occupying Disability: Critical Approaches to Community, Justice, and Decolonizing Disability Editors: Block, P., Kasnitz, D., Nishida, A., Pollard, N. <http://www.springer.com/us/book/9789401799836> http://www.springer.com/us/book/9789401799836 From: CUNY Disability Scholars <DISABILITYSCHOLARS-L@GC.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU> On Behalf Of Francine Almash Sent: Tuesday, May 2, 2023 7:18 PM To: DISABILITYSCHOLARS-L@GC.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU Subject: Special Call for Proposals! 2023 Annual Meeting, History of Education Society, November 1-5, 2023 This year the History of Education Society is committed to showcasing disability scholarship and increasing accessibility at its annual meeting in Atlanta, Georgia in November. The theme of this year's conference is Beyond Resilience: Centering Joy in the Educational Tapestry ( <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.historyofeducation .org_annual-2Dmeeting_2023-2Dannual-2Dmeeting-2Dcall-2Dfor-2Dproposals_&d=Dw MFAg&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjAEOCyUjY&r=j6uo3zJYzy-z_M13ZK8I4X_ 1PWvls91JOPmXxnjwm-Har5-WqJzf88he0snaj0lp&m=lkrTacgfMphH6ZJDHwq1c9L7gVm2TZtn 0RvU2-MECqPIxkxIFwHSqKzOd2yr_Xul&s=odgdUPQryZREImPn4rRmSifMoJS8xymW9KhDWydOo L8&e=> see this link for the original call). We will facilitate at least three disability-focused sessions and workshops in Atlanta: one on disability broadly within the history of education, one on academic ableism in historic and current contexts, and a workshop on accessibility in presenting and teaching. Our aim with these sessions and workshops is to encourage education historians to think more critically about the role disability plays in their own scholarship, teaching, and lives. We especially invite disabled historians, teachers, and graduate students to participate on these panels and in these discussions. Your work is valuable and needed, and we will work with you to ensure that your access needs are met. In lieu of a full proposal, please send a short paragraph of interest-including the topic on which you would like to present-directly to Kristen Chmielewski, <mailto:chmielk@wwu.edu> chmielk@wwu.edu, and Francine Almash, <mailto:falmash@gradcenter.cuny.edu> falmash@gradcenter.cuny.edu, by May 19, 2023. Please spread word about this special call for proposals for individual papers, panel sessions, or workshops that examine the history of education and disability. Kristen and Francine Co-Chairs, HES Presidential Taskforce on Access and Inclusion ____________________________________________________________________________ ______________ Francine Almash 2022-2023 CUNY/Schomburg Archival Dissertation Fellow PhD Candidate in Urban Education The Graduate Center, CUNY New York City "600" Schools and the Legacy of Segregation in Special Education <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.gothamcenter.org_b log_new-2Dyork-2Dcity-2D600-2Dschools-2Dand-2Dthe-2Dlegacy-2Dof-2Dsegregatio n-2Din-2Dspecial-2Deducation&d=DwMFAg&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjA EOCyUjY&r=j6uo3zJYzy-z_M13ZK8I4X_1PWvls91JOPmXxnjwm-Har5-WqJzf88he0snaj0lp&m =lkrTacgfMphH6ZJDHwq1c9L7gVm2TZtn0RvU2-MECqPIxkxIFwHSqKzOd2yr_Xul&s=bo8KPzy6 p3QmEvXc2uZ19H55EyK_QQ1Ut7aak4kSPIk&e=> https://www.gothamcenter.org/blog/new-york-city-600-schools-and-the-legacy-o f-segregation-in-special-education _____ To unsubscribe from the DISABILITYSCHOLARS-L list, click the following link: https://GC.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU/scripts/wa-gc.exe?TICKET=NzM4NjcyIGRldnZhQEVBUl RITElOSy5ORVQgRElTQUJJTElUWVNDSE9MQVJTLUwgIPTew2aB5ctt <https://GC.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU/scripts/wa-gc.exe?TICKET=NzM4NjcyIGRldnZhQEVBU lRITElOSy5ORVQgRElTQUJJTElUWVNDSE9MQVJTLUwgIPTew2aB5ctt&c=SIGNOFF> &c=SIGNOFF