FW: Symposium - discrepancies between body and world

DK
Devva Kasnitz
Wed, May 11, 2022 6:54 PM

FYI

Devva Kasnitz, PhD
Devvaco Consulting, 1614 D St. Eureka, CA 95501-2345 -- devva@earthlink.net or devvaco@gmail.com
Adj Professor, City University of New York—School of Professional Studies—Disability Studies
Text: 510-206-5767, She/Her/Hers

From: The Disability-Research Discussion List DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK On Behalf Of Melanie Thorley
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 4:46 AM
To: DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Symposium - discrepancies between body and world

Good afternoon lovely colleagues and I hope you are staying as well and as warm as you can - especially those of you embroiled with exams and dissertations. I thought some of you might be interested in the event below. Even though it is an in-person event, I am sure if enough people request the event be streamed live, they will accommodation those not in the SE of the UK 🐾

Title: A Phenomenology of Misfits: Discrepancies Between Body and World

"A misfit... describes an incongruent relationship between two things: a square peg in a round hole... The discrepancy between body and world, between that which is expected and that which is, produces fits and misfits.” Rosemarie Garland-Thomson

The Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences (FLAS) PhD Symposium 2022, in conjunction with the Drama, Theatre and Performance (DTP) research group, hosted by the University of Greenwich, and with the partnership of Concordia University’s Technoculture, Art and Games (TAG) interdisciplinary centre have invited immersive and participatory performance practitioners, designers, scholars, writers, producers, devisers, filmmakers and other interested parties who find themselves embracing the term “misfit” due to sex, gender, migrant background, and/or ability to discuss their political, social and cultural perspectives in relation to art and their practice.

In addition to a traditional topic panels, there will also be practice as research areas of workshops and performances in theatre, dance, performance art, live art, digital art, games and other socially engaged practices.

Keynote Speakers: Dr. Jess Rowan Marcotte (Game, Interaction and Narrative Designer, Writer & Co-Founder of Soft Chaos Cooperative), Lisa Lewis (Founder of Omnium Circus) and Dr. Almiro Andrade

Date: June 8th, 2022

Location: Bathway Theatre, Greenwich, London, SE18 6QX
You can find the Eventbrite here:  https://phdsymposium.eventbrite.co.uk/ https://phdsymposium.eventbrite.co.uk/

Dr Melanie Thorley BA, MA, MSc, EdD

STAART Manager
Student Wellbeing Service
Student and Academic Services

Empowering our students to achieve their potential.

University of Greenwich

Staff Mental Health Champion
Peer Mental health Champion

Winner - Student Support award 2020 and 2021 (Student-Led Awards)
Winner - Good Health and Wellbeing Award 2021 (Levelling Up Awards)

Trustee and Director of AchieveAbility

07931 226599
mailto:m.thorley@gre.ac.uk m.thorley@gre.ac.uk

Facebook      University of Greenwich - STAART  University of Greenwich-STAART | Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/295392264140831
Facebook      STAART ART                                STAART | Support | University of Greenwich https://www.gre.ac.uk/support/disability/staart
Twitter        @GRE_STAART
LinkedIn      Dr Melanie Thorley

https://www.gre.ac.uk/study/support/disability/staart https://www.gre.ac.uk/study/support/disability/staart

  • I usually work Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 11-6.

You may receive this email outside of conventional university hours but please do not feel obligated to reply until it is convenient for you to do so.

If you are in need of urgent help now

Call 999 if you are involved in an emergency situation.
If you have a crisis team please contact them.
You can use togetherall anytime day or night: https://togetherall.com/en-gb/ Togetherall | A safe community to support your mental health, 24/7 . (It’s anonymous but you do need to register with your University of Greenwich email address to start with so you don’t have to pay.)
Samaritans are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year: call 116 123 (free from UK mobiles & landlines); e-mail:  mailto:jo@samaritans.org jo@samaritans.org; web:  http://www.samaritans.org/ www.samaritans.org
Nightline is available between 6pm and 8am during term time:  http://nightline.org.uk/contact-us/#termdates http://nightline.org.uk/contact-us/#termdates
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions so you can assist yourself:

Am I registered as a disabled student with the Student Wellbeing Service?

If you have given Student Wellbeing Service evidence of your disability/support need and have agreed a Greenwich Inclusion Plan (GIP) then you are registered with the Student Wellbeing Service.
Your student profile (you can find this on the Portal, via the My Learning page, Click View my student profile) will say you are disabled if you communicated this at application (usually via UCAS) or if you are registered with Student Wellbeing.

Where do I send my disability/support needs evidence?

Please send evidence to  mailto:wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk, write your full name & University of Greenwich ID number (or date of birth) and it will be shared with the relevant coordinator.

I had extra time (or other exam arrangements) at school/college, how do I get these at University of Greenwich?

Please send  mailto:wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk evidence of your exam arrangements, such as a Form 8, and tell us what exam arrangements you would like to have (as well as your full name & ID number or date of birth). If you need evidence, please contact your school or college yourself. We are unable to do this on your behalf. There are deadlines for getting exam arrangements in place at least 6 weeks before exam periods so please contact us as soon as possible.

I need help with applying for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), what should I do?

Try this website first:  https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas as it has lots of useful advice and information. If you still need help, email  mailto:wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk with your questions and we’ll help via email or arrange an appointment for you to speak with one of us.

I need more time to do my coursework, what do I do?

You need to apply for Extenuating Circumstances (ECs); ECs are for situations that cannot be planned for (e.g. illness) so you shouldn’t apply for them if you’ve just run out of time. More information about ECs and lots of useful answers to many questions are here:  https://www.gre.ac.uk/student-services/support/extenuating-circumstances https://www.gre.ac.uk/student-services/support/extenuating-circumstances. If you have a Greenwich Inclusion Plan then you may be able to use this as evidence for your ECs. Very occasionally, a coordinator may be able to write a supporting letter for you. We can only do this if we have met you previously.

I was too ill to do my exam, help!

First, contact your faculty office on the day of your exam and tell them that you are too ill to take your exam. You will then need to apply for Extenuating Circumstances (ECs) within 5 days of the exam. More information about ECs and lots of useful answers to many questions are here:  https://www.gre.ac.uk/student-services/support/extenuating-circumstances https://www.gre.ac.uk/student-services/support/extenuating-circumstances. If you have a Greenwich Inclusion Plan then you may be able to use this as evidence for your ECs. Very occasionally, a coordinator may be able to write a supporting letter for you. We can only do this if we have met you previously.

How do I get my support sorted out?

If you have Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) funding, please read your DSA entitlement letter as it explains what to do next and which companies you will get support from. You will need to contact the suppliers yourself to get your support organised.
If you have funding from the University of Greenwich, please read the funding letter and e-mails we have sent you. You need to respond to the supplier’s messages to get your support sorted.

I’ve applied for DSA but my exam arrangements have not been sorted out, what’s happened?

You have to communicate with the Student Wellbeing Service directly to get your exam arrangements agreed. We cannot do this unless you contact us via  mailto:wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk.

I’ve told my personal tutor/programme leader that I need support, why do I need to talk to Student Wellbeing Service?

The Student Wellbeing Service will write a Greenwich Inclusion Plan with you; this explains to all of your tutors and lecturers as well as other key staff how they can support you so you are most likely to be successful in your studies. You can only get exam arrangements sorted out through us.

I’m a member of STAART, do I still need to see someone from Wellbeing?

Yes you do still need to see one of us. We can write a Greenwich Inclusion Plan with you that explains what your support needs are for lecturers, tutors and other key staff so you don’t have to keep explaining this yourself. We can also put in place exam arrangements, like extra time and advise you about Disabled Students’ Allowance as well as other sources of support.
If you have any other questions, do check our webpages out: www.gre.ac.uk/DD http://www.gre.ac.uk/DD  or ask us by sending an email with your full name & ID number (or date of birth) to  mailto:wellbeing@gre.ac.uk wellbeing@gre.ac.uk.

University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by guarantee, registered in England (reg no. 986729). Registered Office: Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich SE10 9LS.
End of message This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies ). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk mailto:disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk  Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html  You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.

FYI Devva Kasnitz, PhD Devvaco Consulting, 1614 D St. Eureka, CA 95501-2345 -- devva@earthlink.net or devvaco@gmail.com Adj Professor, City University of New York—School of Professional Studies—Disability Studies Text: 510-206-5767, She/Her/Hers From: The Disability-Research Discussion List <DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of Melanie Thorley Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 4:46 AM To: DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK Subject: Symposium - discrepancies between body and world Good afternoon lovely colleagues and I hope you are staying as well and as warm as you can - especially those of you embroiled with exams and dissertations. I thought some of you might be interested in the event below. Even though it is an in-person event, I am sure if enough people request the event be streamed live, they will accommodation those not in the SE of the UK 🐾 Title: A Phenomenology of Misfits: Discrepancies Between Body and World "A misfit... describes an incongruent relationship between two things: a square peg in a round hole... The discrepancy between body and world, between that which is expected and that which is, produces fits and misfits.” Rosemarie Garland-Thomson The Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences (FLAS) PhD Symposium 2022, in conjunction with the Drama, Theatre and Performance (DTP) research group, hosted by the University of Greenwich, and with the partnership of Concordia University’s Technoculture, Art and Games (TAG) interdisciplinary centre have invited immersive and participatory performance practitioners, designers, scholars, writers, producers, devisers, filmmakers and other interested parties who find themselves embracing the term “misfit” due to sex, gender, migrant background, and/or ability to discuss their political, social and cultural perspectives in relation to art and their practice. In addition to a traditional topic panels, there will also be practice as research areas of workshops and performances in theatre, dance, performance art, live art, digital art, games and other socially engaged practices. Keynote Speakers: Dr. Jess Rowan Marcotte (Game, Interaction and Narrative Designer, Writer & Co-Founder of Soft Chaos Cooperative), Lisa Lewis (Founder of Omnium Circus) and Dr. Almiro Andrade Date: June 8th, 2022 Location: Bathway Theatre, Greenwich, London, SE18 6QX You can find the Eventbrite here: <https://phdsymposium.eventbrite.co.uk/> https://phdsymposium.eventbrite.co.uk/ Dr Melanie Thorley BA, MA, MSc, EdD STAART Manager Student Wellbeing Service Student and Academic Services Empowering our students to achieve their potential. University of Greenwich Staff Mental Health Champion Peer Mental health Champion Winner - Student Support award 2020 and 2021 (Student-Led Awards) Winner - Good Health and Wellbeing Award 2021 (Levelling Up Awards) Trustee and Director of AchieveAbility 07931 226599 <mailto:m.thorley@gre.ac.uk> m.thorley@gre.ac.uk Facebook University of Greenwich - STAART University of Greenwich-STAART | Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/groups/295392264140831> Facebook STAART ART STAART | Support | University of Greenwich <https://www.gre.ac.uk/support/disability/staart> Twitter @GRE_STAART LinkedIn Dr Melanie Thorley <https://www.gre.ac.uk/study/support/disability/staart> https://www.gre.ac.uk/study/support/disability/staart * I usually work Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 11-6. You may receive this email outside of conventional university hours but please do not feel obligated to reply until it is convenient for you to do so. ​ If you are in need of urgent help now Call 999 if you are involved in an emergency situation. If you have a crisis team please contact them. You can use togetherall anytime day or night: <https://togetherall.com/en-gb/> Togetherall | A safe community to support your mental health, 24/7 . (It’s anonymous but you do need to register with your University of Greenwich email address to start with so you don’t have to pay.) Samaritans are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year: call 116 123 (free from UK mobiles & landlines); e-mail: <mailto:jo@samaritans.org> jo@samaritans.org; web: <http://www.samaritans.org/> www.samaritans.org Nightline is available between 6pm and 8am during term time: <http://nightline.org.uk/contact-us/#termdates> http://nightline.org.uk/contact-us/#termdates Here are some answers to frequently asked questions so you can assist yourself: Am I registered as a disabled student with the Student Wellbeing Service? If you have given Student Wellbeing Service evidence of your disability/support need and have agreed a Greenwich Inclusion Plan (GIP) then you are registered with the Student Wellbeing Service. Your student profile (you can find this on the Portal, via the My Learning page, Click View my student profile) will say you are disabled if you communicated this at application (usually via UCAS) or if you are registered with Student Wellbeing. Where do I send my disability/support needs evidence? Please send evidence to <mailto:wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk> wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk, write your full name & University of Greenwich ID number (or date of birth) and it will be shared with the relevant coordinator. I had extra time (or other exam arrangements) at school/college, how do I get these at University of Greenwich? Please send <mailto:wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk> wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk evidence of your exam arrangements, such as a Form 8, and tell us what exam arrangements you would like to have (as well as your full name & ID number or date of birth). If you need evidence, please contact your school or college yourself. We are unable to do this on your behalf. There are deadlines for getting exam arrangements in place at least 6 weeks before exam periods so please contact us as soon as possible. I need help with applying for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), what should I do? Try this website first: <https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas> https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas as it has lots of useful advice and information. If you still need help, email <mailto:wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk> wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk with your questions and we’ll help via email or arrange an appointment for you to speak with one of us. I need more time to do my coursework, what do I do? You need to apply for Extenuating Circumstances (ECs); ECs are for situations that cannot be planned for (e.g. illness) so you shouldn’t apply for them if you’ve just run out of time. More information about ECs and lots of useful answers to many questions are here: <https://www.gre.ac.uk/student-services/support/extenuating-circumstances> https://www.gre.ac.uk/student-services/support/extenuating-circumstances. If you have a Greenwich Inclusion Plan then you may be able to use this as evidence for your ECs. Very occasionally, a coordinator may be able to write a supporting letter for you. We can only do this if we have met you previously. I was too ill to do my exam, help! First, contact your faculty office on the day of your exam and tell them that you are too ill to take your exam. You will then need to apply for Extenuating Circumstances (ECs) within 5 days of the exam. More information about ECs and lots of useful answers to many questions are here: <https://www.gre.ac.uk/student-services/support/extenuating-circumstances> https://www.gre.ac.uk/student-services/support/extenuating-circumstances. If you have a Greenwich Inclusion Plan then you may be able to use this as evidence for your ECs. Very occasionally, a coordinator may be able to write a supporting letter for you. We can only do this if we have met you previously. How do I get my support sorted out? If you have Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) funding, please read your DSA entitlement letter as it explains what to do next and which companies you will get support from. You will need to contact the suppliers yourself to get your support organised. If you have funding from the University of Greenwich, please read the funding letter and e-mails we have sent you. You need to respond to the supplier’s messages to get your support sorted. I’ve applied for DSA but my exam arrangements have not been sorted out, what’s happened? You have to communicate with the Student Wellbeing Service directly to get your exam arrangements agreed. We cannot do this unless you contact us via <mailto:wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk> wellbeing@greenwich.ac.uk. I’ve told my personal tutor/programme leader that I need support, why do I need to talk to Student Wellbeing Service? The Student Wellbeing Service will write a Greenwich Inclusion Plan with you; this explains to all of your tutors and lecturers as well as other key staff how they can support you so you are most likely to be successful in your studies. You can only get exam arrangements sorted out through us. I’m a member of STAART, do I still need to see someone from Wellbeing? Yes you do still need to see one of us. We can write a Greenwich Inclusion Plan with you that explains what your support needs are for lecturers, tutors and other key staff so you don’t have to keep explaining this yourself. We can also put in place exam arrangements, like extra time and advise you about Disabled Students’ Allowance as well as other sources of support. If you have any other questions, do check our webpages out: www.gre.ac.uk/DD <http://www.gre.ac.uk/DD> or ask us by sending an email with your full name & ID number (or date of birth) to <mailto:wellbeing@gre.ac.uk> wellbeing@gre.ac.uk. University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by guarantee, registered in England (reg no. 986729). Registered Office: Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich SE10 9LS. ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies <http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies> ). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk <mailto:disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk> Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html> You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.