FW: Re: Devva is Moving into a New Chapter

DK
Devva Kasnitz
Mon, Jun 7, 2021 9:22 PM

Cassandra,

I’m NOT leaving SPS just SDS………. In fact, I’ve been talking to Mariette about developing a new course—maybe under “special topics.” I have 2 ideas Applied Disability Studies (other than in education) or World Disability Ethnography…………. A chance for students to read international texts………
Best,
Devva

From: Cassandra Evans via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org >
Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 11:16 AM
To: Marion Quirici <marion.quirici@gmail.com mailto:marion.quirici@gmail.com >
Cc: rayna.rapp@nyu.edu mailto:rayna.rapp@nyu.edu ; Elizabeth Gordon <egordon@ses.gtu.edu mailto:egordon@ses.gtu.edu >; Devva Kasnitz <devva@earthlink.net mailto:devva@earthlink.net >; sds-discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org >
Subject: [SDS Members]Re: Devva is Moving into a New Chapter

Devva!  Good for you.

We will miss you at SPS and hope some of your plans include a guest appearance here and there in our classes.

May happiness abound in your new journey.

Cassandra Evans, PhD
Assistant Professor of Disability Studies
CUNY School of Professional Studies

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:00 PM, Marion Quirici via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org > wrote:

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

Thank you, Devva, for being so warm and welcoming to new scholars of disability studies for so many years! You have given so much to this organization and to the field. I look forward to seeing you again at conferences! Enjoy every minute of your weaving and writing.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 12:32 PM Rayna Rapp via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org > wrote:
Just echoing Elizabeth's appreciation, Dear Devva.  You are a gem, and your energy, creativity, wisdom nurtured this organization, this field, this movement for justice.  Sending gratitude and love, Rayna

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 11:11 AM Elizabeth Gordon via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org > wrote:
Thank you, Devva, for your leadership, your vision, and your dedication to bringing into fruition the potential you saw. Sharing your wisdom, humility, and broad embrace with us is a gift and a legacy. So glad you'll continue to be involved. May your blanket of many colors bring you joy and your re-orientation bring a sense of rejuvenation and adventure.

Much love and gratitude,
Elizabeth ❤️🙏

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021, 7:43 PM Devva Kasnitz via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org > wrote:
Dear Community,
It is with mixed emotions that I embrace what retirement might mean. Well, partially. Over five years ago I was drafted into the job of the Executive Director of my beloved Society for Disability Studies. This was a time of crisis for SDS. We faced legal and financial cleavages. I dove in with the same lack of hesitation as I did in 1984 when Irv Zola invited me to join the Board of what became SDS. It has been the ride of a lifetime. As SDS worked to create disability studies, and then to defend critical disability studies, I had a treasured experience of personal growth into my seventh decade.
SDS is strong now. SDS is solvent now. SDS has more members than ever and they are young and eager. As you ponder all the decisions that underlay world discussions of a new and more democratized social structure and human responsibilities to the natural world, I will lend my voice and experience. I also look forward to cheering on SDS to make increasingly better choices based on the fullest possible engagement of our members and to extend the base of that membership in needed and perhaps some unexpected ways.
SDS’s emergence from this pandemic stronger than we entered it is a gift of opportunity. While many people assumed that a pandemic experience of vulnerability trumps exercising creative disability power, we eschewed that notion. At the same time SDS also took a deep and unfinished dive to examine our complicity in structural racism and some true cultural ignorance. This dynamic push-pull of our recognition of our successes and shortcomings and of our speaking and listening can be a source of strength.
I look forward to working with the leadership over the next months to implement a transition plan. I’m stepping away from the job but I’m not going anywhere except between my spinning wheels and my computer. I’m making a huge blanket of many colors of natural wool and writing a book on speech impairment. I will be an active volunteer member of SDS ready to reflect on our history and to support new initiatives however I can best contribute.
You got this. Congratulations!
In Solidarity,
Devva

Devva Kasnitz, PhD
Devvaco Consulting,1614 D St. Eureka, CA 95501-2345 -- devva@earthlink.net mailto:devva@earthlink.net
Adj Professor, City University of New York—School of Professional Studies—Disability Studies
Executive Director, Society for Disability Studies, PO BOX 5570, Eureka CA 95502 -- She/Her/Hers

--
Rayna Rapp, Professor
Anthropology Dept.

tel: 212-998-8585

--
Marion Quirici https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__scholars.duke.edu_person_Marion.Quirici&d=DwMFaQ&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjAEOCyUjY&r=0rmWwCoDuekhZ-Pa6s2wNn_6ys8WBjQ8_m6GM5qzlfw&m=PC-GrjTAfPlJJKW25qSwXqG-vHbiSfNE3d50Jl-Wtho&s=OcoqN66UjVuWmRH90iikWXCnYICi4tiNqqSoVjkiU6c&e= , PhD
she / her / hers

Cassandra, I’m NOT leaving SPS just SDS………. In fact, I’ve been talking to Mariette about developing a new course—maybe under “special topics.” I have 2 ideas Applied Disability Studies (other than in education) or World Disability Ethnography…………. A chance for students to read international texts……… Best, Devva From: Cassandra Evans via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> > Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 11:16 AM To: Marion Quirici <marion.quirici@gmail.com <mailto:marion.quirici@gmail.com> > Cc: rayna.rapp@nyu.edu <mailto:rayna.rapp@nyu.edu> ; Elizabeth Gordon <egordon@ses.gtu.edu <mailto:egordon@ses.gtu.edu> >; Devva Kasnitz <devva@earthlink.net <mailto:devva@earthlink.net> >; sds-discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> > Subject: [SDS Members]Re: Devva is Moving into a New Chapter Devva! Good for you. We will miss you at SPS and hope some of your plans include a guest appearance here and there in our classes. May happiness abound in your new journey. Cassandra Evans, PhD Assistant Professor of Disability Studies CUNY School of Professional Studies On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:00 PM, Marion Quirici via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> > wrote:  ***ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.*** Thank you, Devva, for being so warm and welcoming to new scholars of disability studies for so many years! You have given so much to this organization and to the field. I look forward to seeing you again at conferences! Enjoy every minute of your weaving and writing. On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 12:32 PM Rayna Rapp via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> > wrote: Just echoing Elizabeth's appreciation, Dear Devva. You are a gem, and your energy, creativity, wisdom nurtured this organization, this field, this movement for justice. Sending gratitude and love, Rayna On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 11:11 AM Elizabeth Gordon via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> > wrote: Thank you, Devva, for your leadership, your vision, and your dedication to bringing into fruition the potential you saw. Sharing your wisdom, humility, and broad embrace with us is a gift and a legacy. So glad you'll continue to be involved. May your blanket of many colors bring you joy and your re-orientation bring a sense of rejuvenation and adventure. Much love and gratitude, Elizabeth ❤️🙏 On Sun, Jun 6, 2021, 7:43 PM Devva Kasnitz via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> > wrote: Dear Community, It is with mixed emotions that I embrace what retirement might mean. Well, partially. Over five years ago I was drafted into the job of the Executive Director of my beloved Society for Disability Studies. This was a time of crisis for SDS. We faced legal and financial cleavages. I dove in with the same lack of hesitation as I did in 1984 when Irv Zola invited me to join the Board of what became SDS. It has been the ride of a lifetime. As SDS worked to create disability studies, and then to defend critical disability studies, I had a treasured experience of personal growth into my seventh decade. SDS is strong now. SDS is solvent now. SDS has more members than ever and they are young and eager. As you ponder all the decisions that underlay world discussions of a new and more democratized social structure and human responsibilities to the natural world, I will lend my voice and experience. I also look forward to cheering on SDS to make increasingly better choices based on the fullest possible engagement of our members and to extend the base of that membership in needed and perhaps some unexpected ways. SDS’s emergence from this pandemic stronger than we entered it is a gift of opportunity. While many people assumed that a pandemic experience of vulnerability trumps exercising creative disability power, we eschewed that notion. At the same time SDS also took a deep and unfinished dive to examine our complicity in structural racism and some true cultural ignorance. This dynamic push-pull of our recognition of our successes and shortcomings and of our speaking and listening can be a source of strength. I look forward to working with the leadership over the next months to implement a transition plan. I’m stepping away from the job but I’m not going anywhere except between my spinning wheels and my computer. I’m making a huge blanket of many colors of natural wool and writing a book on speech impairment. I will be an active volunteer member of SDS ready to reflect on our history and to support new initiatives however I can best contribute. You got this. Congratulations! In Solidarity, Devva Devva Kasnitz, PhD Devvaco Consulting,1614 D St. Eureka, CA 95501-2345 -- devva@earthlink.net <mailto:devva@earthlink.net> Adj Professor, City University of New York—School of Professional Studies—Disability Studies Executive Director, Society for Disability Studies, PO BOX 5570, Eureka CA 95502 -- She/Her/Hers _______________________________________________ SDS-Discuss mailing list -- sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sds-discuss-leave@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss-leave@lists.disstudies.org> _______________________________________________ SDS-Discuss mailing list -- sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sds-discuss-leave@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss-leave@lists.disstudies.org> -- Rayna Rapp, Professor Anthropology Dept. New York University 25 Waverly Place New York, NY 10003 tel: 212-998-8585 _______________________________________________ SDS-Discuss mailing list -- sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sds-discuss-leave@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss-leave@lists.disstudies.org> -- Marion Quirici <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__scholars.duke.edu_person_Marion.Quirici&d=DwMFaQ&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjAEOCyUjY&r=0rmWwCoDuekhZ-Pa6s2wNn_6ys8WBjQ8_m6GM5qzlfw&m=PC-GrjTAfPlJJKW25qSwXqG-vHbiSfNE3d50Jl-Wtho&s=OcoqN66UjVuWmRH90iikWXCnYICi4tiNqqSoVjkiU6c&e=> , PhD she / her / hers Co-director, Health Humanities Lab Faculty Advisor, Duke Disability Alliance Lecturing Fellow, Thompson Writing Program Duke University _______________________________________________ SDS-Discuss mailing list -- sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sds-discuss-leave@lists.disstudies.org <mailto:sds-discuss-leave@lists.disstudies.org>