Thank you Devva

GR
Garland-Thomson, Rosemarie
Tue, Jun 8, 2021 5:18 AM

Sending great appreciation and much love to you, dearest Devva, for your long-haul contributions to SDS and for your continuing support and gifts to our community. You were one of the very first Disability Goddesses I encountered In my early astonishment to learn that there WAS a disability community into which one might enter. That community was SDS in the very early days when Irv Zola showed me his bookshelf in his sociology office at Brandeis and invited me to give a talk at SDS, where I found people like you. That you have continued your active contributions to SDS while I have had to focus on this challenging work of bioethics that I have (perhaps foolishly) undertaken is a testimony to your strength and genius.
With much love,
Rosemarie

Rosemarie Garland-Thomson
Professor Emerita of English and bioethics
Emory University
rgarlan@emory.edumailto:rgarlan@emory.edu
http://www.rosemariegarlandthomson.com/

About Us: Essays From the Disability Series of the New York Timeshttps://wwnorton.com/books/9781631495854

APOLOGIA: I use talk-to-text. Thank you for reading creatively and tolerantly.

prohibited.

Sending great appreciation and much love to you, dearest Devva, for your long-haul contributions to SDS and for your continuing support and gifts to our community. You were one of the very first Disability Goddesses I encountered In my early astonishment to learn that there WAS a disability community into which one might enter. That community was SDS in the very early days when Irv Zola showed me his bookshelf in his sociology office at Brandeis and invited me to give a talk at SDS, where I found people like you. That you have continued your active contributions to SDS while I have had to focus on this challenging work of bioethics that I have (perhaps foolishly) undertaken is a testimony to your strength and genius. With much love, Rosemarie Rosemarie Garland-Thomson Professor Emerita of English and bioethics Emory University rgarlan@emory.edu<mailto:rgarlan@emory.edu> http://www.rosemariegarlandthomson.com/ About Us: Essays From the Disability Series of the New York Times<https://wwnorton.com/books/9781631495854> APOLOGIA: I use talk-to-text. Thank you for reading creatively and tolerantly. ________________________________ This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the original message (including attachments).
DK
Devva Kasnitz
Tue, Jun 8, 2021 10:03 PM

I remember that. Irv was excited to have found you. I was delighted to meet another crip with clothing style. I grew up in Concord. When I left for college in 1967 my mom, who studied physics before she had me, went down the road to Brandies and got a job in the Science library. In 1982, I think, I read Missing Pieces, Irv’s brand-new book. I also met my fellow Northwestern postdoc in 1981, Carol Goldin, who did her anthro PhD on blindness. When I was visiting my parents between postdocs I made a date with Irv because I could ride to work with my mom that day and it changed my life. I’m not done with SDS. I’m done with being an administrator. I’m going back to rabblerousing, but this time from the senior citizen bleachers.

devva

[...]

I remember that. Irv was excited to have found you. I was delighted to meet another crip with clothing style. I grew up in Concord. When I left for college in 1967 my mom, who studied physics before she had me, went down the road to Brandies and got a job in the Science library. In 1982, I think, I read Missing Pieces, Irv’s brand-new book. I also met my fellow Northwestern postdoc in 1981, Carol Goldin, who did her anthro PhD on blindness. When I was visiting my parents between postdocs I made a date with Irv because I could ride to work with my mom that day and it changed my life. I’m not done with SDS. I’m done with being an administrator. I’m going back to rabblerousing, but this time from the senior citizen bleachers. devva From: Garland-Thomson, Rosemarie via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 10:19 PM To: sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org Subject: [SDS Members]Thank you Devva Sending great appreciation and much love to you, dearest Devva, for your long-haul contributions to SDS and for your continuing support and gifts to our community. You were one of the very first Disability Goddesses I encountered In my early astonishment to learn that there WAS a disability community into which one might enter. That community was SDS in the very early days when Irv Zola showed me his bookshelf in his sociology office at Brandeis and invited me to give a talk at SDS, where I found people like you. That you have continued your active contributions to SDS while I have had to focus on this challenging work of bioethics that I have (perhaps foolishly) undertaken is a testimony to your strength and genius. With much love, Rosemarie Rosemarie Garland-Thomson Professor Emerita of English and bioethics Emory University rgarlan@emory.edu <mailto:rgarlan@emory.edu> http://www.rosemariegarlandthomson.com/ About Us: Essays From the Disability Series of the New York Times <https://wwnorton.com/books/9781631495854> APOLOGIA: I use talk-to-text. Thank you for reading creatively and tolerantly. _____ This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the original message (including attachments).
NM
Nario-Redmond, Michelle R.
Wed, Jun 9, 2021 2:22 PM

I love you fairy godmother Devva! I'm so glad you will still be involved with SDS and always rabblerousing.  I can't wait to see you again and to dance.  Thank you for such an illustrious career of scholarship and service to SDS and beyond.  You have been a wonderful mentor to so many, and so welcoming when I came into SDS in the early 2000's. Love to you. Michelle

Michelle R. Nario-Redmond, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology and Biomedical Humanities
Hiram College
P.O. Box 67 | Hiram, OH  44234
nariomr@hiram.edumailto:andersonca@hiram.edu
Office: Bates 219 | (330) 569-5230
www.ableismbook.com

I love you fairy godmother Devva! I'm so glad you will still be involved with SDS and always rabblerousing. I can't wait to see you again and to dance. Thank you for such an illustrious career of scholarship and service to SDS and beyond. You have been a wonderful mentor to so many, and so welcoming when I came into SDS in the early 2000's. Love to you. Michelle Michelle R. Nario-Redmond, Ph.D. Professor of Psychology and Biomedical Humanities Hiram College P.O. Box 67 | Hiram, OH 44234 nariomr@hiram.edu<mailto:andersonca@hiram.edu> Office: Bates 219 | (330) 569-5230 www.ableismbook.com
SC
Sumi Colligan
Wed, Jun 9, 2021 4:30 PM

Devva,

My path also crossed with yours in the 1980s. I was hired at a state college in the Berkshires in 1984. I remember feeling quite isolated there as a new hire and disabled academic...until some sociology colleagues eventually introduced me to Irv. He took me under his wings and encouraged me in a multitude of ways. One of them was introducing me to SDS.

That's where I first met you. Then our paths kept crossing, both at AAA and SDS. At the time, it was heartened to meet another disabled anthropologist. I was always nurtured by your humor, the opportunities you helped come my way, and by your relentless efforts to take on the powers that be. I have benefited from your "disability ancestorship" as Stacey Milbern has articulated (ancestorship not in terms of age because I am not far behind you but in terms of leadership). Thanks for everything you have done for me and for SDS.

One more thing. I  remember you once said, "If they are going to stare anyway, give them something to look at!" Perform it, do it up, and enjoy being in the performance.  Thanks, Devva for those words! They have been something to draw on and live by.

Warmly,
Sumi

Get Outlook for Androidhttps://aka.ms/ghei36

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of MCLA. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

Devva, My path also crossed with yours in the 1980s. I was hired at a state college in the Berkshires in 1984. I remember feeling quite isolated there as a new hire and disabled academic...until some sociology colleagues eventually introduced me to Irv. He took me under his wings and encouraged me in a multitude of ways. One of them was introducing me to SDS. That's where I first met you. Then our paths kept crossing, both at AAA and SDS. At the time, it was heartened to meet another disabled anthropologist. I was always nurtured by your humor, the opportunities you helped come my way, and by your relentless efforts to take on the powers that be. I have benefited from your "disability ancestorship" as Stacey Milbern has articulated (ancestorship not in terms of age because I am not far behind you but in terms of leadership). Thanks for everything you have done for me and for SDS. One more thing. I remember you once said, "If they are going to stare anyway, give them something to look at!" Perform it, do it up, and enjoy being in the performance. Thanks, Devva for those words! They have been something to draw on and live by. Warmly, Sumi Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> ________________________________ From: Devva Kasnitz via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 3:03:42 PM To: 'Garland-Thomson, Rosemarie' <rgarlan@emory.edu>; sds-discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Subject: [SDS Members]Re: Thank you Devva CAUTION: This email originated from outside of MCLA. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. I remember that. Irv was excited to have found you. I was delighted to meet another crip with clothing style. I grew up in Concord. When I left for college in 1967 my mom, who studied physics before she had me, went down the road to Brandies and got a job in the Science library. In 1982, I think, I read Missing Pieces, Irv’s brand-new book. I also met my fellow Northwestern postdoc in 1981, Carol Goldin, who did her anthro PhD on blindness. When I was visiting my parents between postdocs I made a date with Irv because I could ride to work with my mom that day and it changed my life. I’m not done with SDS. I’m done with being an administrator. I’m going back to rabblerousing, but this time from the senior citizen bleachers. devva From: Garland-Thomson, Rosemarie via SDS-Discuss <sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org> Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 10:19 PM To: sds-discuss@lists.disstudies.org Subject: [SDS Members]Thank you Devva Sending great appreciation and much love to you, dearest Devva, for your long-haul contributions to SDS and for your continuing support and gifts to our community. You were one of the very first Disability Goddesses I encountered In my early astonishment to learn that there WAS a disability community into which one might enter. That community was SDS in the very early days when Irv Zola showed me his bookshelf in his sociology office at Brandeis and invited me to give a talk at SDS, where I found people like you. That you have continued your active contributions to SDS while I have had to focus on this challenging work of bioethics that I have (perhaps foolishly) undertaken is a testimony to your strength and genius. With much love, Rosemarie Rosemarie Garland-Thomson Professor Emerita of English and bioethics Emory University rgarlan@emory.edu<mailto:rgarlan@emory.edu> http://www.rosemariegarlandthomson.com/ About Us: Essays From the Disability Series of the New York Times<https://wwnorton.com/books/9781631495854> APOLOGIA: I use talk-to-text. Thank you for reading creatively and tolerantly. ________________________________ This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the original message (including attachments).