FW: Reminder: CAPPE Seminar: Productivity Vs Fruitfulness with Alexis Padilia

DK
Devva Kasnitz
Tue, Apr 16, 2024 5:56 PM

FYI

Devva Kasnitz, PhD

Devvaco Consulting, 1614 D St. Eureka, CA 95501-2345 -- devva@earthlink.net
or devvaco@gmail.com

Adj Professor, City University of New York—School of Professional
Studies—Disability Studies

Advisory Council, CommunicationFirst.org

Text: 510-206-5767, She/Her/Hers

From: The Disability-Research Discussion List
DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK On Behalf Of luke beesley
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2024 10:10 AM
To: DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Reminder: CAPPE Seminar: Productivity Vs Fruitfulness with Alexis
Padilia

Centre for Applied Philosophy, Politics and Ethics

Interventions in Disability Politics

This year CAPPE is hosting a series of monthly online talks on disability
politics. These will take place on Wednesday evenings 6pm-7.30pm. Please
note: Our speaker for the next session has some suggested (but not
mandatory) pre-reading for their talk. Please contact
l.s.beesley@brighton.ac.uk mailto:l.s.beesley@brighton.ac.uk  for copies,
along with any accessibility requirements you may have.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/87333711907?pwd=T3zsplfISWw8Imu53EPsEj5vmX5D6E.1

Meeting ID: 873 3371 1907
Passcode: 888537

Wednesday 24th April: Alexis Padilia – ‘Productivity Versus
Fruitfulness/Collective Generativity? Toward a Decolonial Disability
Interrogation of the Marxian Conception of Abilities and Needs’

The present talk has a conversational ethos as it is a work in progress
which will be part of my upcoming volume titled Decolonial Disability and
Social Epistemologies. Its purpose is to interrogate the meaning of Marx’s
famous aphorism: to everyone according to their abilities and to everyone
according to their needs (my paraphrasing here intends to be gender
neutral). My interrogation invokes the decolonial Marxian critique developed
by Peruvian thinker Aníbal Quijano, a former Marxian scholar who has been
articulated and amplified, among other decolonial thinkers, by Brazilian
anthropologist Rita Segato. In line with the conversational nature of this
exercise, I am sharing an essay by Russian educational philosopher Anna
Stetsenko which has impacted my initial oppositional thinking in this
matter. Due to her expansive interpretation of Marx, I am now moving toward
collective generativity explorations, a radical/strategic  process that I am
sure you will highly enrich through your comments and insights.

Alexis Padilla is Visiting Professor at the University of Missouri Saint
Louis, and the author of Disability, Intersectional Agency and Latinx
Identity: Theorising LatDisCrit Counterstories (published by Routeledge in
2021). He has worked extensively on disability equality and justice in
education, decolonial projects, and religion.

End of message This Disability-Research
Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the
University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies ). Enquiries about list
administration should be sent to disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk
mailto:disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk  Archives and tools are
located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html  You can VIEW,
POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.

FYI Devva Kasnitz, PhD Devvaco Consulting, 1614 D St. Eureka, CA 95501-2345 -- devva@earthlink.net or devvaco@gmail.com Adj Professor, City University of New York—School of Professional Studies—Disability Studies Advisory Council, CommunicationFirst.org Text: 510-206-5767, She/Her/Hers From: The Disability-Research Discussion List <DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of luke beesley Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2024 10:10 AM To: DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK Subject: Reminder: CAPPE Seminar: Productivity Vs Fruitfulness with Alexis Padilia Centre for Applied Philosophy, Politics and Ethics Interventions in Disability Politics This year CAPPE is hosting a series of monthly online talks on disability politics. These will take place on Wednesday evenings 6pm-7.30pm. Please note: Our speaker for the next session has some suggested (but not mandatory) pre-reading for their talk. Please contact l.s.beesley@brighton.ac.uk <mailto:l.s.beesley@brighton.ac.uk> for copies, along with any accessibility requirements you may have. Join Zoom Meeting https://us06web.zoom.us/j/87333711907?pwd=T3zsplfISWw8Imu53EPsEj5vmX5D6E.1 Meeting ID: 873 3371 1907 Passcode: 888537 Wednesday 24th April: Alexis Padilia – ‘Productivity Versus Fruitfulness/Collective Generativity? Toward a Decolonial Disability Interrogation of the Marxian Conception of Abilities and Needs’ The present talk has a conversational ethos as it is a work in progress which will be part of my upcoming volume titled Decolonial Disability and Social Epistemologies. Its purpose is to interrogate the meaning of Marx’s famous aphorism: to everyone according to their abilities and to everyone according to their needs (my paraphrasing here intends to be gender neutral). My interrogation invokes the decolonial Marxian critique developed by Peruvian thinker Aníbal Quijano, a former Marxian scholar who has been articulated and amplified, among other decolonial thinkers, by Brazilian anthropologist Rita Segato. In line with the conversational nature of this exercise, I am sharing an essay by Russian educational philosopher Anna Stetsenko which has impacted my initial oppositional thinking in this matter. Due to her expansive interpretation of Marx, I am now moving toward collective generativity explorations, a radical/strategic process that I am sure you will highly enrich through your comments and insights. Alexis Padilla is Visiting Professor at the University of Missouri Saint Louis, and the author of Disability, Intersectional Agency and Latinx Identity: Theorising LatDisCrit Counterstories (published by Routeledge in 2021). He has worked extensively on disability equality and justice in education, decolonial projects, and religion. ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies <http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies> ). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk <mailto:disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk> Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html> You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.