Disability Types Based on DS

NH
Negin H. Goodrich
Sun, Nov 14, 2021 7:01 AM

Hello,

Since traditional classification of disabilities are medicalized and even
pejorative, I am wondering how Disability Studies categorizes various types
of disabilities, taking the social model into consideration.

Your responses are truly appreciated.

Best,
Negin

Negin Hosseini Goodrich, PhD

ESL Instructor and Scholar

Disability Rights Activist and Scholar**Purdue Languages and Cultural
Exchange (PLaCE)

West Lafayette, Indiana

Hello, Since traditional classification of disabilities are medicalized and even pejorative, I am wondering how Disability Studies categorizes various types of disabilities, taking the social model into consideration. Your responses are truly appreciated. Best, Negin *Negin Hosseini Goodrich, PhD* *ESL Instructor and Scholar* *Disability Rights Activist and Scholar**Purdue Languages and Cultural Exchange (PLaCE)* *West Lafayette, Indiana*
DK
Devva Kasnitz
Mon, Nov 22, 2021 10:33 PM

We fortunately have NO consensus on this, nor should we. If we did, I would never have been interested in disability studies to begin with. Classificatory schemas are tools we use to explore and think. They should never be rigid and are always contextual. Let me explain by parsing your question.

Since traditional (traditional to whom, where, when, for what purpose? Whose tradition? I assume you mean “The medical model.” But even then, whose medical model? I guess you mean western allopathic medicine.) classification (I’m not sure if there is even one system because I use multiple classification systems for different purposes.) of disabilities (Disability, to me at least, is an outcome of a social process. Therefore, in the plural it would mark different processes not differences in outcomes, i.e. the experience of disability. I assume you are doing something different. I assume you are thinking about the observed differences people see or describe in how they are classed as disabled. This may collapse diagnosis or impairment into disability.) are medicalized and even pejorative, I am wondering how Disability Studies categorizes various types of disabilities, taking the social model (There are so many!) into consideration.

This is how I would have to translate your question before I could begin to answer it:
Since the dominant western past hundred or so years of “traditional” classifications of aspects of disability are so often medicalized and even pejorative, I am wondering how Disability Studies categorizes various types of speech about “disability/disabilities,” taking the social models into consideration.”

Having fun with words………
Best,

Devva Kasnitz, PhD
Devvaco Consulting,1614 D St. Eureka, CA 95501-2345 -- devva@earthlink.net or devvaco@gmail.com
Adj Professor, City University of New York—School of Professional Studies—Disability Studies
She/Her/Hers